< Türkçe için >
Twenty7 started in the world rock scene of Los Angeles as a house band for the legendary Whisky a Go Go, followed by a performance at the first annual Sunset Strip Music Festival in 2009.
Their sound has been described as “blending straight-ahead modern rock with more traditional near Eastern influences” by MTV Iggy, while simultaneously, as Music Connection put it, “hinting at The Doors with ‘lizard king’ vocals.” Hence, the name Twenty7 – the band chose this name to commemorate their idols Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Kurt Cobain among others, who all died at the age of 27.
By December 2010, Twenty7 released several singles and its first self-produced Papatya EP:
- The band’s single “Second Mind” is featured in the 2012-debuted film About Cherry, starring James Franco, Heather Graham, and Dev Patel.
- The song “Muhtemelen Ask” from the band’s EP is featured in a No Kill animal protection documentary (endorsed by Swedish DJ Adrian Lux and Bon Jovi member David Bryan).
- The song “No Chemical Love” from the band’s EP was nominated for Best Indie Rock Song at the 2011 Artists in Music Awards and is used in a comedic short called The Run-In (produced by Pollution Studios).
For their latest release, Love is a Game, Twenty7 worked at The Lair Recording alongside Larry Goetz (Big Time Rush, Demi Lovato, Ke$ha, Edwin McCain) and mastering engineer Stephen Marsh (Incubus, Boys II Men, Ben Harper, Ozomatli).
The band has performed over 100 concerts in the following countries:
- United States (Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Oakland, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington DC);
- Turkey (Istanbul, Antalya, and Izmir); and
- Guatemala (San Pedro).
During this time, the band has had the opportunity to share the stage with acts such as Street Drum Corps and Death by Stereo, as well as premier rock bands Gripin, mor ve ötesi, and maNga from Turkey.
Furthermore, at Burning Man, one of the largest music and art festivals in the United States with more than 60,000 attendees, the band was awarded an official 2012 Burning Man Award for excellence, inspiration, and beauty.
In Turkey, Twenty7 takes on the name of 27 and, since 2015, started to collaborate with Gripin in writing and producing songs in Turkish. Their first single “Muhtemel Ask,” which features Gripin‘s vocalist Birol Namoglu, reached #1 in iTunes in Turkey within 2 weeks of its release in December 2015 and again during Valentine’s weekend 2016.
Okan Sarli – vocals, bass
Murat Arikan – guitars
Saddler Samayoa – drums
“Great delivery, diverse appeal, very original… possesses strong rock appeal, lyrically well written, and well thought out” – 18th Annual Billboard Song Contest
“Twenty7 plays to your senses to give you an experience usually reserved for large venues by mainstream artist” – The Examiner
“This show transformed the small, intimate Viper Room into a London (or perhaps Istanbul) arena” – Music Connection
“Their music has its own unique flavor to it, and it just sounds incredible live” – The University of San Diego Radio
“Their music is nothing short of phenomenal, powerful enough to accompany their commanding stage presence and tight enough to unleash Hell when they want to” – Blog by Johnny Transistor